Monday, August 11, 2014

Something Slightly Different: The British Tag

'The maxim of the British people is "Business as usual"' - Winston Churchill


So although I love sewing and reading sewing blogs I also follow a lot of blogs about other bits and bobs too. I saw this tag on Just Jess's blog and thought it was a great idea! So why not put the tailor's chalk down for a second and have a read!

1. How many cups of tea do you drink a day? How many sugars?
Until quite recently I could easily power my way through up to 9 strong cups of tea with 2 sugars a day. I blame it on being a student. But then a few months ago tragedy struck! Tea started making me feel really sick. I tried cutting out the milk, the sugar, brewing it for less long, but nothing helped. I've started drinking a lot more in the way of fruit and herb teas, my favourites being Twinings Cranberry and Strawberry and Whittard's Mango and Passionfruit. On the other hand I've noticed that my skin and sleeping patterns have been improved so hey ho silver linings and such.

http://hugmore.files.wordpress.com/2011/05/tea_cup.jpg

2. Favourite part of a Sunday Roast?
Can I just say ALL OF IT? No? Shame... Probably Yorkshire Puddings. They have to be homemade though. 

http://rateyourroast.files.wordpress.com/2010/07/dinner.jpg

3. Favourite dunking biscuit?
Has to be a ginger nut. It's crunchy enough that it's not completely soggy after it's been dunked which is nice. Dunking chocolate biscuits should be banned... You don't want chocolate in your tea...

http://l1.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/zyMcGSXGLDBPPlXGFDlVVQ--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7cT04NTt3PTYwMA--/http://l.yimg.com/os/publish-images/lifestyles/2014-02-18/bd6eb450-9888-11e3-94b9-83e270d6dbd0_gingernut-being-dunked.jpg

4. What is your favourite quintessentially British pastime?
Hmmm this was a tough one. You can't call sewing especially British... Playing board games would definitely be up there even though I'm terrible at them. There's something quite calming about sitting round while the rain's hitting the windows playing Monopoly or Cluedo... Until things get competitive and people start getting angry.

http://www.publicdomainpictures.net/pictures/30000/nahled/board-games.jpg

5. What's your favourite word?
There are some amazing words out there but I think my favourite has to be 'cushty' meaning fine or alright. It just fits into sentences so well and sounds so good!

6. What's your favourite Cockney rhyming slang?
So I have the same problem as Jess where I know little to no Cockney rhyming slang because I grew up in Cumbria. I have grown up with Cumbrian dialect though so some good Cumbrian words include 'larl' meaning little, 'twine' meaning to complain and 'ladgeful' meaning embarrassing. If you want to find out some more have a look here. I will also add that any guy who calls me 'lass' will immediately have my heart. :P

7. What are your favourite British sweets?
So many answers so little time... I was really lucky to grow up near a proper old fashioned sweet shop where you could pick up anything under the sun. Tom Thumb Drops are a particular favourite as are lemon bon bons. And who can turn down pick 'n' mix?!

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEgHCqaRNrrd4kUyqxK5aS670vRPxP5uoQy42FBvDkj6NT8pj29Dc1WqMH9aS2AXoVHg0sXzSogg0RHabMafggFuYgWosFUTpWM_d3xAuKZ8ZCAv_FrOj__6ffFd6Zoq2pNcwjKuOAl6hmc/s640/2457570470_e0c5ce26f7.jpg
8. What would your pub be called?
One of my dad's favourite authors is called R.S Surtees and in some of his books there is a pub called The Cat and Custard Pot, which I think is a fantastic name for a pub and I think I would potentially use!

9. Number One British Person?
It might be such a cliche but I adore Stephen Fry. I grew up with QI, Jeeves and Wooster and Blackadder meaning he's just always been there and I find him a very reliable form of entertainment! He's had a very interesting life and his autobiography is fascinating if somewhat surprising in parts.

http://uktv.co.uk/images/620349/24380_stephen_fry_.jpg
10. Favourite Shop/Restaurant?
There is only one answer here for me and it's Rogano in Glasgow. This seafood restaurant is designed around a 1930's cruise liner and its interior is absolutely beautiful! The prices range from fairly low in the Oyster Bar through to eye wateringly high in the famous restaurant but just experiencing the atmosphere over a drink in the bar is enough.

http://www.rampantscotland.com/glasgow/graphics/rogano250g.jpg
11. What British song pops into your head?
Errm? I can't lie I'm not a massive music buff and I'll listen to almost anything. Sticking with the Scottish theme I do love a bit of Paolo Nutini. And who doesn't love his song New Shoes? So here's some Summer feel good tunes...

12. Marmite: Love it or Hate it?
LOVE IT! End of! Anything can be improved by it. FACT. I even bought some Marmite chocolate today so I'll tell you how that goes.

http://ts1.mm.bing.net/th?id=HN.608020215198515848&pid=1.7
I hope you enjoyed this slightly different post! If you've read this and want to have a blast go for it! I'm nominating everyone!

Happy tea-drinking!

Etta
x

1 comment: